Friday, May 13, 2011

Very big update!

Sorry for the delay in this update- I tried to write it last night, but the site was down!

OK. Bad news first. I realize I've been a little vague about Topaz's lump on her lip, so here's the whole story! After our disappointing experience with Quail Valley, we had Equine Medical come out and biopsy. Less than a week later, we had our results- the lump was actually a mast cell tumor. VERY rare in horses (of course). When the vet broke the news to me, all I could do was shake my head in disbelief- if its some kind of weird medical thing, its gonna happen to me or my horses *sigh* The vet and I had a very long conversation- the usual protocol for these tumors is immediate surgical removal, but the size and location on her lip complicated things. The second best option was radiation, but it was prohibitively expensive ($2-6K). As much as we adore Topaz, she is not proven as a mount or a broodmare, and we couldn't justify spending that amount of money on a horse that hasn't proven itself yet (although we have no doubt that she will eventually!). The last option is one not generally tried in horses, but is popular in dogs (where mast cell tumors are VERY common). A regimen of corticosteroids to shrink the tumor, then surgical removal.

After much discussion between myself, my husband, and Lauren (who is training and riding Topaz), we decided our best option was the steroids and hopefully surgery in a few weeks. But lucky for us, we had an amazing vet who was determined to do better for us. He headed up to Mizzou (an excellent veterinary medicine program with a wonderful equine clinic) to speak with some colleagues there about their opinions on a course of treatment. Lucky for us, a case this rare with such interesting tumor placement sparked some interest, and one of Mizzou's best equine surgeons offered to do the surgery at an INCREDIBLY reasonable rate. We had her up to the clinic that week! Surgery was textbook, and it looked GREAT when she got home. Of course, she has since ripped out all of her stitches, but with lots of care, the surgeon is optimistic that it will heal with minimal scarring- and the most important part, she will be healthy and retain full use of her lip and mouth! It looks pretty rough in the last photos in the album below, because they were taken the day she ripped out all the stitches. It's looking much better now, and I will continue to update it with photos :)

Photos of the journey.

Now, on to the best news of the week!!! Thursday, I got a phone call confirming shipment of Fugitivo's frozen semen! It arrived at Equine Medical this morning :) so now I'm waiting for Dr. Ortis to set up an appointment to bring Tres in for an ultrasound. Apparently this year, when I was anxious for signs of heat, she's decided to go incognito :) so I think we may have to go the regumate route, but I don't even care at this point! We're so close!!! So cross your fingers, I will post when I've got more news!

We had been planning to hit a small fun show in Fulton this weekend, for some halter and English classes, but its been raining for about 24 hours, so I'm not sure how thats going to work out. Anyway, very excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment